Wednesday 12 January 2011

Printing with Natural Dyes

I want to bring you a post from an interesting textile blog I found.  It's aimed at textile students throughout the world and there is a lot of industry information on it, but came across an interesting post about printing with natural dyes.  It's not very detailed, but it will give you enough information for you to work out how to do it!  My Textile Notes is the name of the blog and has lots of interesting information.

Any of the Pure Tinctoria natural mordants are full of tannins, oak gall (on the left) and cutch are the usual ones to use and myrobalan for the mordant printing are all available on the Pure Tinctoria website.

Thickeners such as Agar Agar and Gum Tragacanth are natural and easily obtained on the high street.

Let use know if you have had a go at natural printing or if you are planning to!  We'd love to see your results.

3 comments:

Liz Plummer said...

I had a go at it a couple of years ago, as I do quite a lot of screenprinting anyway. I bought a DVD from Kimberly Baxter Packwood (http://www.prairiefibers.com/) in the US to show me how to do it.

There are a few posts on my blog where I posted pictures: here's one - http://lizplummer.com/blog/2010/01/18/natural-dyeing-the-results/ ; there are more if you search for 'natural dyes' in the search box on the sidebar.

Thanks for the link to the blog - just going over there to have a good read!

Willington Weaver said...

Liz these are lovely! I actually like the washed out versions, much more definition and subtle colours. Yummy.

Liz Plummer said...

Thanks, yes, I think I do too, although normally I don't do subtle at all!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...