Wednesday 1 December 2010

Colour Palette of the Month - December!

I love colour and find it really hard to work with neutrals and monochromatic palettes.  It's strange then, that in this monochromatic snowy and frosty landscape I'm beginning to adjust!

Monday morning, this week, was really frosty in the Trent Valley and I couldn't help but take this photograph at 8.30 while out for our morning walk.

When I downloaded the image from my Blackberry I was really taken with the lovely rich browns, creams and apricots,  moving me to use it as my palette for December and as my Seasonal Greetings card.  It puts a new twist on winter colours!  It's certainly not winter white, is it?



Dyeing the lovely rich colours would be a challenge and I think I'd use cutch (Thar) or sappenwood (Garden) with iron water for the browns and cutch for the apricot shade, with oak gall for the cream.  What would you use?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with using cutch, and oak galls; I'd use them. But I think I might try some quebracho red with the cutch, not a lot, to give a rosy undertone to get almost apricot shade and the paler creamy golden sky, too. Just another alternative. This is fun!

Willington Weaver said...

That's really interesting, Elaine. I've never used Quebracho Red, I must look it up, thanks for sharing and I'm glad you are enjoying the colour palette idea.
Alison

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...